Massive amounts of data are collected every day, often from services we use regularly, but never think about. Scientific data comes in massive amounts from sensor networks, astronomical instruments, biometric devices, etc., and needs to be sorted out and understood. Personal data from our Google searches, our Facebook or Twitter activities, our credit card purchases, our travel habits, and so on, are being mined to provide information and insight. These data sets provide great opportunities, and pose dangers as well.
Four international Math, Applied Math and Statistics organizations (SIAM, AMS, MAA and ASA) have suggested “Mathematics, Statistics, and the Data Deluge” as the theme of this years Math Awareness Month. Our student chapter is proud to present a four day/ two week workshop on the subject. Six scholars from various departments of our university will present lectures on computational and mathematical tools that one can use to work effectively with and model large amounts of data.
The program of our workshop is as follows:
- May 16, 2012, Wednesday, 11:40-12:30, Estimation of Dynamics under Uncertainty, Gerhard Wilhelm Weber *,
- May 17, 2012, Thursday, 11:40-12:30, Fractals in Cognitive Science, Annette Hohenberger and Halil Düzcü *,
- May 17, 2012, Thursday, 14:00-17:30, Introduction to R and GGobi, Ozlem Ilk **,
- May 23, 2012, Wednesday, 14:00-16:30, MapReduce and Hadoop, Mining Big Data in the Cloud, Aybar Acar *,
- May 23, 2012, Wednesday, 11:40-12:30, Introduction to Clustering, Cem Iyigun *,
- May 24, 2012, Thursday, 14:00-15:30, Modeling with MARS and CMARS, Fatma Yerlikaya-Ozkurt * (Cancelled)
** Department of Mathematics, Computer Lab, M202,
* Institute of Applied Math, S209
The R Workshop that will be led by Ozlem Ilk will be completely interactive; the users will be able to implement in realtime everything introduced in the workshop on the computers available in the lab where the workshop will take place. We cordially thank the mathematics department for hosting this event.
All members of our university are invited. If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.